With the growing popularity of Japanese anime series, anime contact lenses like the ones found on EyeCandy's have also become a growing trend. These beauty accessories have become especially popular among people who enjoy participating in cosplay events. Where before cosplay enthusiasts could only imitate the clothes and hair colors of their favorite characters, they can now imitate even the color of the characters’ eyes.
Wearing Cosplay Contact Lenses for the First Time
There are certain precautions you need to take and procedures you need to go through before wearing these eye accessories and after taking them out. As a first time user, it won’t hurt to be reminded of these precautions and procedures.
- Fill the accompanying cases with contact lens solution.
- Soak your contacts in the solution for at least one day.
- Wash your hands and make sure there isn’t any lint after drying.
- Be sure to put your lenses on BEFORE you apply makeup.
- Wear the accessory for a maximum of only 8 hours each day.
- As soon as you take a lens out, place it on your palm, pour a little solution over it, and rub each side lightly with your fingertip for about 5 seconds.
- Put some solution in the case and then place the contacts inside.
- Change the case and soak your contacts at least once each month.
- What You Shouldn’t Do with Cosplay Contact Lenses
- Just as there are things you need to do with cosplay lenses, there are also things you need to avoid.
- NEVER share a pair with anyone else.
- NEVER wear them for more than 8 hours.
- NEVER wear them beyond their expiry date.
- NEVER soak or clean them in water.
- NEVER sleep with the lenses on.
Other than the above reminders, you should also bear these things in mind:
- These beauty accessories aren’t for everyone. There are people who can’t possibly wear them for medical, economic, or any other reason. Even when you can wear lenses, your choices may be limited by certain medical conditions. It’s best to consult your eye doctor before buying a pair.
- There will always be a risk. Just as there’s always a chance of you figuring in an accident whenever you drive your car, there’s always a risk of infection whenever you wear contacts. This is why you need to take all the necessary precautions. You’d also do well to limit the frequency of wearing these accessories to the barest minimum.
- Fit is always important. Cosplay lenses may be non-corrective, but it’s still important for you to ensure the pair you’re wearing fits your eyes perfectly. Otherwise, you may experience vision distractions and you may not really get the effect you want.
Just like fake eyelashes, cosplay contact lenses aren’t really necessary, but they can certainly add flair to your costume. As long as you take the necessary precautions and follow care instructions carefully, they should be safe enough to use.